Sport & Work
FitDog products for active dogs
Why does my dog need the FitDog products?
- Dogs that train and compete actively can be regarded as athletes.
- These dogs face a lot of physical stress in their daily lives
- In order to succeed you need to ensure the performance and effective recovery of your dog. Also in some special situations the dog needs extra rehydration (old dogs, recovering from surgery, bitches with puppies).
- Sport drinks for people and horses are not suitable for the use of dogs as the physiology of dogs is so different – for instance dogs are not sweating as people and horses
- Dogs need products that are developed to their specific needs
Taking care of the rehydration level of the dog
- The body temperature of a dog rises quickly
- Dogs dehydrate at a much quicker rate than humans do, because they have sweat glands only on their nose and feet.
- Exercise increases the need for rehydration
- Warm weather increases the possibility for dehydration but it can occur also during winter time !
- In general, dog needs 0,5-1dl/kg of water -> dog weighting 20 kilos needs 1 litre of water daily
- Exercise and warm weather increases the need for water !
- Already 3-4% of dehydration influences the physical performance of the dog
- 7-8% of dehydration can be dangerous and needs medical treatment
Influence of physical stress on the need of energy
- The approximate energy demand of the dog increases 10% after 1 hour of physical exercise
- During long competition days in agility and for hunting , the energy demand can increase to double
- For sleddogs the energy demand can increase to triple during
- During long exercise, most of the energy intake comes from fat
Products we recommend for active dogs: